Monday, June 18, 2012

Dublin: Hangout Sunday and Trinity College

Sunday was a quiet day but a busy day. It started with breakfast, followed by a trip to the Accommodations Office because I have a leaky shower, or sink or toilet. Not sure which one but there is water on the bathroom floor and that is never a good thing. We put in a work request (ah, sometimes I really do miss housing).

Afterwards, Michelle and I headed out to find a bookstore. I finished Fifty Shades of Grey and obviously needed to go out immediately and get Fifty Shades Darker (duh). This should have been easier than it was. We ended up in a mall and eventually found one but laughed at ourselves on the way back because we passed like three bookstores but we apparently are blind. I think the distraction comes from all of the street performers. There is so much to see on the streets of downtown Dublin that it makes it hard to concentrate on what you are actually looking for. Here are some of the gems we encountered:

This was really cool. He sculpts these out of sand
Magician
I did not donate to his cause as I am still paying off my own student loans...
Where is your pot o gold??
This little guy was amazing! He was so talented.

I had two more students arriving on Sunday and I like to have everyone in one place (and not stuck on their layovers, etc) and know that everyone is where they need to be. I was very happy when they were all here in one piece. Once they got settled we headed out for some lunch and exploring. We went to this gourmet burger place and it was pretty good. The burger came with lettuce, tomato, red relish and mayo. I found it interesting that they do not ask how you would like it cooked. It just comes well done. Also, it you want cheese they do not ask what kind, you just get some kind of cheese...

After lunch we walked around and the students picked up some groceries and necessities. It is really nice to have a kitchen and it will save them some money while they are here. Here are some shots of Dublin and the first of many group shots. The students are standing in front of what the locals call "the stilletto in the ghetto" but I have no idea what it is really called.

The ceiling in the mall
Marco will be excited about this pic. He used to get these all the time in Italy. :)
Students!!!!! <3




This pub was called "Buskers". This one is for you, Jared Busker!

We are staying at Trinity College and it is really magnificent. I think it looks prettier in the sunlight but it took like three days to get sun so I didn't realize this right away. Here are some shots of the quad and surrounding buildings:






I went to dinner Sunday night at a pub with Jim, Karen and the faculty. Bret Simmons is from UNR and is teaching Organizational Behavior. Elliot Parker is the chair of the Economics department at UNR and is teaching Comparative Economic Systems. Bob Aalberts is from UNLV and is teaching International Business Law. Bob's wife, Barbara is here for whole month as well.  Both Dean's will be here this week as well. And finally, here are a few things I just thought were pretty darn cool :)

The Guinness has a shamrock

This picture was taken at 9:30PM
And this was taken at 10PM!!
Tomorrow is the first day of class. Breakfast is at 7:30am and class starts at 8:15am. I will be at both. I go to the classes for the first few days so see what the experience will be like for the students and what they will be learning about. I laugh when people say I'm on vacation...anyone who knows me knows that those times are not associated with anything I consider to be a vacation. :) I am sure there will some hungover students in the morning. They're finally getting comfortable here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com